Iroh

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place it becomes rigid and stale."
-Uncle Iroh, Avatar: The Last Airbender

Tom Brown Jr.

"If you believe everything I say, then you are a fool. Your job is not to believe me, but to prove me right or prove me wrong."
-Tom Brown, Jr., Awakening Spirits, p. 2

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"Homeschooling is easy, right?"

     Sorry I'm late, I've been busy with my latest class requirements. I have an oral report to finish for tomorrow, I need to read that Jefferson biography (which I finished today), and I've needed to do lots of math, German vocabulary, and seminary along with it. That, coupled with other pursuits, such as writing and cooking (a lasagna and crepes this week!), I've had very little time to get anything written here!
     However, given my experience, I can safely say this: homeschooling isn't any easier than public school. In fact, public school might be the easier one (although I've never been there myself); because there, you are told what to do in every class, whereas in homeschool, once you reach the self-teaching level, your education and the path you take to gain that education is entirely on your shoulders, and there's a lot of options there!
     For example, there are dozens of online classes-from ballet to psychiatry-and hundreds, if not thousands, of classic books to learn from, all written by the great minds of history! Then there are the numerous real-time class opportunities, like acting classes and college prep, and the possibilities go on and on! It's a great opportunity, but sometimes simply choosing the classes and textbooks can be confusing!
     And, to top it all off, the only one making sure you are doing your work is yourself. There's no threat of a principal or a teacher to talk with if you aren't doing your work correctly and continuously. That's a difficult thing to learn, diligence.
     I'm not saying that I dislike homeschooling; in fact, I love it! I'm just saying that the usual thought of homeschoolers getting off easy because they don't have any homework to finish before they can watch TV*, or something like that, is wrong. After all, education is work. If it isn't hard, it's not worth it.
     *Isn't that just ironic? It's all homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can post a comment, but posting a comment doesn't guarantee it'll be posted, just so you know. At the moment, comments for correction will be sent just to me, while all the other comments will, Very Likely, be published on the blog itself after moderation. I'll still read every comment, and reach out to you to continue the conversation if I can, but in the off chance it's not posted, don't take it personally. This is largely to maintain focus on the topics at hand, and to avoid the confusion and ugliness often visible in comment sections across the internet.
Then again, this too is something I'm trying out, so if it doesn't work, let me know that too! :)