Iroh

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place it becomes rigid and stale."
-Uncle Iroh, Avatar: The Last Airbender

Tom Brown Jr.

"If you believe everything I say, then you are a fool. Your job is not to believe me, but to prove me right or prove me wrong."
-Tom Brown, Jr., Awakening Spirits, p. 2

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Legend of Zelda: Of Redemption and Revenge; chapter 2

     Well, if you enjoyed the first chapter, please continue to enjoy! Here's the second chapter, and more is sure to come later!
     Notes: Gorons are people made of rock that usually live in the mountains. The three "goddesses," named Din, Farore, and Nayru, are commonly mentioned in the series as creators of Hyrule. Disclaimer: I don't own Zelda, Link, or any other Nintendo trademarks. This is an original story, and I'm earning no profit from it.

Chapter 2: Changes
    Link steadily made his way across Kakiriko Gorge, back to the Faron Woods, where his journey would truly begin. The storm, however, was gaining much faster. For a moment, he wished he still had Epona, his horse, so that he could make it to the forest's edge faster. The thought quickly passed, and he continued on.
     He looked back and saw lightning flash. Counting the seconds between that and the thunder, he realized that the storm was almost directly above him. He decided to unpack his tent and wait out the storm instead of trying to race it.
     He reached into the small pouch at his side and pulled out a small black object that resembled a miniscule bag. It quickly expanded and gained color, becoming a large brown bag.
     Link smiled, remembering when he received the pouch. Midna had given it to him, the day before she left for her home. It was a twilight container that could hold almost anything, due to the nature of twilight matter. In fact, it was able to read his mind, and could send him what he needed if he couldn't reach the pouch.
     Just as I can do, right Link? Midna had said.
     Link? his thought said again.
     Link?
     “Link!”
     Link spun around again, dropping the bag in the motion. It teleported back to the pouch as it fell.
     This time, he did see someone.
     It was Zant. The usurper king of the Twilight realm. Ganondorf's underling.
     No, wait. It was only his ghost. He wore simple black clothes, his blue-green skin seemed silvery now, and he was smiling. Link had never seen him smile warmly like that.
     “Hello, Link,” he said, his voice ethereal and solemn.
     Link drew his sword. “What are you doing here?” he demanded.
     “I need your help,” Zant replied. “The goddesses of your realm gave me a chance to redeem myself, even after what I had done to their realm. My mistakes have not only caused damage here, although those damages were enormous, but they have also had ill effects somewhere in the past, and that is where I need your abilities.”
     Link was really confused now. “What?” he asked.
     “I need you to fix the problems that I have created in the past, so that I may be forgiven of my sins. I'll be given a body again, and I'll be able to return to my home realm.”
     Link was about to retort, but he realized that Zant was being honest. He knew from experience that the spirits of the dead couldn't lie. “Do you mean that another path can be found?” he asked, sheathing his sword.
     “Yes, but I don't know how. However, it can only happen if the natural time-line is restored again,” Zant replied. “I know that this is a lot to ask of you, and I know that I don't deserve your help, but if nothing is done to fix my mistakes, Ganondorf will reign once more in Hyrule and everyone that you know and love will be killed.”
     Link stared at the ghost. “How do you know this?” he managed to ask.
     “The goddesses showed it all to me before I came to you,” Zant said, his form wavering as if shuddering. “Now you understand the severity of my crimes.”
     Link looked straight into Zant's yellow eyes. “I'll do it,” he said, extending his arm.
     Zant extended his as well, leaving an odd sensation in Link's hand.
     “Thank you, Link,” he said, smiling. “Thank you for doing this for me. I only wish that I could come with you.”
     At that moment, lightning struck the ground near Link. He looked up and saw that the storm clouds were now a deep, ominous black. Almost like the clouds in the Twilight realm.
     “Time travel is a privilege reserved only for the living,” Zant explained, “so you will be on your own in that time. However, the goddesses will still be there to guide you to the right path.”
     Lightning continued to strike, forming a circle of scorch marks around Link.
     “Goodbye, Link,” said Zant.
     An enormous pillar of blue light suddenly surrounded Link, and time began flying backwards. He saw day and night flash before his eyes, while the entire landscape changed as well. He could see the gorge in front of him filled as all of the higher ledges were leveled to the ground. As he looked closer, he could see that the Gorons, the rock-men, were the ones causing the geographical change. After a while, he found that he could see a lot of Hyrule from where he stood.
     As Time began to slow down, he could see a building rise up, brick by brick, on top of a hill. It was almost circular, and very wide. Horses, cows and people all walked backwards into the structure.
     The pillar of light receded as Time began its natural flow once more. It seemed to be about midnight, and the building ahead was completely dark and still.
     Until someone screamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can post a comment, but posting a comment doesn't guarantee it'll be posted, just so you know. At the moment, comments for correction will be sent just to me, while all the other comments will, Very Likely, be published on the blog itself after moderation. I'll still read every comment, and reach out to you to continue the conversation if I can, but in the off chance it's not posted, don't take it personally. This is largely to maintain focus on the topics at hand, and to avoid the confusion and ugliness often visible in comment sections across the internet.
Then again, this too is something I'm trying out, so if it doesn't work, let me know that too! :)