Iroh

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place it becomes rigid and stale."
-Uncle Iroh, Avatar: The Last Airbender

Tom Brown Jr.

"If you believe everything I say, then you are a fool. Your job is not to believe me, but to prove me right or prove me wrong."
-Tom Brown, Jr., Awakening Spirits, p. 2

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Legend of Zelda: Of Redemption and Revenge; chapter 3

     In case you were wondering when the next chapter of my video game fantasy would be posted, worry no more! It's right here, waiting for you to read (if, in fact, you are interested in it.)
     A note about the story; the Gerudos are a race of vicious thieves, all female except for Ganondorf, who is also a Gerudo. They usually live in the desert, west of Hyrule.


Chapter 3 A New Challenge
     When he heard the scream, Link's warrior instincts took over. He broke into a run towards the building, retrieving his Magic Armor helmet from his pouch. He put it on, allowing it to spread across his body.
     Once inside the front gates, he stopped, straining his ears to hear more.
     “I don't know! I don't know where he is!” sobbed a female voice, just behind the wall on his right.
     “Don't lie to us!” snapped another woman, with a much harsher voice. “You must know where he is! You are the only one who truly knows who he is and what he does; surely he tells you where he goes!”
     Link quietly switched the breastplate rupees, preparing for confrontation. As he continued listening, the silver rupee's color began to spread unnoticed across his armor. He crept towards the door.
     “Nabooru, our captain, has disappeared and our king is attacked. He is the only one capable of such crimes, and is worthy of execution,” said another voice, also feminine. “Do not try to protect him, or you will share his fate! Now, where is he?!”
     At this, Link burst through the door, sword drawn. He saw at least five women, dressed in the same, strange desert clothing as each other, attacking another woman. The victim was on her knees, fearful.
     They all stared at him, confused. “Who are you?” asked one woman in purple, wielding a large scimitar.
     “My name is Link,” he replied, “and you are going to leave.”
     At the sound of his name, everyone's eyes widened. “We Gerudos have been searching a long time for you,” said one woman in orange. “But now you must die!”
     Instantly, every one of the strange women had two long scimitars, one in each hand, and charged at Link.
     Link blocked every strike with either his shield or his armor, knocking down the assailants as he did. He noticed that the purple-garbed one stayed back and watched the others fall.
     The attackers dealt with, Link ran forward to the kneeling victim. She was severely injured, with many deep cuts along her arms and legs.
     The purple woman bolted in the same direction, drawing a dagger. “Surrender!” she barked, raising the kneeling victim by her hair. “Or else the girl dies!” The knife was pointed at the young lady's neck, almost drawing blood.
     Link froze in place, his mind racing to devise a plan. Slowly, he dropped his sword and shield, raising his arms above his head.
     The woman holding the knife smiled and released the other woman, who slumped back, her shoulders shaking in silent sobs.
     “That's always been your problem, boy,” the attacker said, strolling towards Link; “too much heart.”
     That's good. Keep talking, Link thought, calling a certain item from his pouch. As it flew to his hand, it slowly changed from a small speck to a thin, spiked object with a piece of twine through it. Its true color of black with orange stripes grew as it did.
     “What is. . .?” the woman began, but it was as far as she got. Instantly, the magical talisman transformed Link into the Twilight Wolf, and he leaped at her. He slammed her clear through the wall, knocking her out cold.
     There were gasps coming from the other women, who had prepared to ambush him. He turned and barked sharply: Get out!
     Shrieking, they complied.
     Link nodded, satisfied that they wouldn't come back, and bit at the twine protruding from his paw. After a quick yank, he was his human self again. He dropped the twine, which flew back to his pouch, and knelt to study the young woman on the floor near him.
     She didn't look good. Blood was slowly seeping from numerous wounds, and her right arm was swollen, possibly broken. She was deathly pale, but she was still alive. She was staring at Link, confused.
     “Link?” she asked weakly, squinting.
     “Uh, yes,” he replied. “Yes, that's me.”
     “How did you. . .how. . .?” she began, before slipping into unconsciousness.
     Link quickly checked his pouch, pulling out all of his bottles. He breathed a sigh of relief as he found a Blue potion, the most potent of Hyrule's healing mixtures. He carefully poured the liquid down her throat, feeling her pulse to make sure he wasn't too late.
     After she drained the bottle, her wounds slowly healed, her arm's swelling disappeared, and color returned to her face.
     Her eyes fluttered open, and she looked at Link, still confused. “Link?”
     “Yes, that's my name.” Link replied, slightly confused himself.
     “Oh, thank goodness,” she said, her confusion evaporating. “Link, I had the worst dream just now! There were these Gerudo thieves, but they were attacking me! And then you rushed in and turned into a wolf! It felt so real, I almost. . .”
     “Wait, wait,” Link said, holding up his hand. “That wasn't a dream. See?” He motioned to the hole in the wall to his right.
     The woman's eyes widened. “It wasn't a. . . then why did they. . .?” She looked back at Link. “They were looking for you! But why? And how did you turn into a wolf like that? You've never told me about that!”
     Link looked at her. “I know that,” he replied; “I've just barely arrived here, after all.”
     Now the woman looked confused again. “What are you talking about?” she asked nervously. “You've known me all your life!”
     “No, I haven't,” Link said, standing up.
     The young lady stood up as well. “What. . .?”
     “Let me explain,” said Link. He paced as he told his story, explaining how he had met the spirit of his enemy and was sent to this time to fix the mistakes the spirit had made.
     “So, whomever you thought I was, you were incorrect.” he concluded, looking back at the woman. ”I'm sorry for making you think otherwise.”
     The young lady was looking down, her red hair falling in front of her face. “I see,” she said, absently moving her hair away. “There is another Link in this time, but he's been gone for weeks. I've been really worried."
     She shook her head and looked up at Link. "Well, whomever you are, I am in your debt. Thank you so much for saving my life; if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.”
     “Thank you,” Link replied, nodding He turned to go, but stopped. “Actually, if you know of a good place to spend the night, I'd be very grateful.”
     The woman paced, tapping her mouth as she thought. “I can't think of anywhere you could go,” she replied. Then she snapped her fingers, as if she had an idea. “Actually, you could sleep here, in the stable. I know it's not the best place, but the main house is full, so you couldn't stay there, so. . .”
     Link nodded, smiling to himself. “That sounds good,” he said; “I'll sleep in here. My neighbor had a stable a lot like this, which I slept in as a child. It'll seem like old times for me.”
     “Really?” the lady asked, smiling. “I used to do that too. Well, make yourself comfortable. I'll be back at sunrise to milk the cows, so I might wake you up.”
     “That'll be okay,” Link said. “I've had nights like that often.”
     As the woman walked towards the door, Link remembered something. “Wait!” he called. “I forgot to ask your name.”
     She stopped in mid-stride and turned around. “Malon,” she said, giving a small curtsy. “My name is Malon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can post a comment, but posting a comment doesn't guarantee it'll be posted, just so you know. At the moment, comments for correction will be sent just to me, while all the other comments will, Very Likely, be published on the blog itself after moderation. I'll still read every comment, and reach out to you to continue the conversation if I can, but in the off chance it's not posted, don't take it personally. This is largely to maintain focus on the topics at hand, and to avoid the confusion and ugliness often visible in comment sections across the internet.
Then again, this too is something I'm trying out, so if it doesn't work, let me know that too! :)