Iroh

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place it becomes rigid and stale."
-Uncle Iroh, Avatar: The Last Airbender

Tom Brown Jr.

"If you believe everything I say, then you are a fool. Your job is not to believe me, but to prove me right or prove me wrong."
-Tom Brown, Jr., Awakening Spirits, p. 2

Monday, September 5, 2011

What is Labor Day?

     Traditionally, Labor Day is when we celebrate the American worker, the people who make free enterprise possible for us. Today, we have added a multitude of meanings to this holiday. Some honor the labor unions (not necessarily the workers), some celebrate by going on a family vacation, and others simply enjoy a day off of school and/or work.
     Here at Taylor Academy (my family's homeschool name and thus our home), we do things differently; we work on Labor Day. Seems fitting.
     So far today, we've fixed the upstairs shower tile, weeded lots of our gardening space, cleaned out some of our rooms, and I've mowed the lawn. The kids (myself included) were offered video game time for our participation in weeding, which is the only reason it is finished today. I'd like to think I'd weed without that offer, but I'm not entirely sure.
     Soon, we will have a nice, American barbecue outside to close the holiday, and just rest from all the labor we've done this Labor Day. It's been quite a satisfactory day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can post a comment, but posting a comment doesn't guarantee it'll be posted, just so you know. At the moment, comments for correction will be sent just to me, while all the other comments will, Very Likely, be published on the blog itself after moderation. I'll still read every comment, and reach out to you to continue the conversation if I can, but in the off chance it's not posted, don't take it personally. This is largely to maintain focus on the topics at hand, and to avoid the confusion and ugliness often visible in comment sections across the internet.
Then again, this too is something I'm trying out, so if it doesn't work, let me know that too! :)